Wednesday, October 27, 2010

"Ted's Bulletin"...Read All 'bout It!

C Says...

I’d heard nothing but great things from people about Ted’s Bulletin in Barrack’s Row. Granted, they were raving about the restaurants boozy milkshakes, but that was enough for me to select this location for our October dinner. Ted’s is an homage to all things 1930’s: from the bar, to the projector showing old movies (this night it happened to be William Powell and Myrna Loy starring in 1935’s The Thin Man – yes, I actually knew this) to the restrooms.

I opted for the fish and chips, although the burgers were tempting. The fish wasn’t over-fried, however it was lacking some flavor. The tartar sauce was a nice accompaniment as was the Cole slaw. All in all an okay meal (should have ordered a burger).

Our waitress, Erika, was great. So great, that she brought us one of the restaurant’s homemade apple butter Pop Tarts (this was good, but could have used some more apple butter!) on the house. For dessert I of course tried one of their adult milkshakes – the mocha Kahlua. It was in a word, delicious.

While not blown away by my meal at Ted’s, I thoroughly enjoyed my time there, and totally appreciate any place that serves breakfast anytime and serves up free pastries just because. I’ll likely go back to try some other options, and of course for the milkshakes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
J Says...

I had only been to Ted's for brunch (and the highly entertaining bartender named Donald), so dinner was surely going to be a treat. The decor and inspiration for the restaurant were not something I noticed until C pointed out...so I guess I'm the typical guy in that sense (though C's hair looked lovely that evening).

I opted for the herb-roasted half chicken with baked BBQ beans and mashed potatoes...the traditional "safe" choice for me when nothing else is standing out. It was good, nothing spectacular, but nor was the expectation after trying several brunch dishes.

In reality, you go to Ted's for the atmosphere and service. And as C alluded too, Erika was outstanding and very generous with her time, her smile, and Ted's pop-tarts. We tipped her extra well, just to show our appreciation.

All in all, check out Ted's Bulletin with a few friends...but not too many, as it is very loud in the open air seating which makes conversing with your dining companion challenging at times.


Ted's Bulletin - 505 8th Street SE, 202.544.8337, www.tedsbulletin.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am SOOOO going to make apple butter pop tarts!

Anonymous said...

Nice picture of you guys at Ted's.